Ethiopians were still unable to surf the web via mobile networks on Tuesday, despite government claims the nationwide internet shutdown, which began a week ago, had been lifted.
Africa’s second most-populous country turned off its internet access without warning or explanation last week, briefly depriving even diplomatic buildings, like the UN’s Economic Commission for Africa and the headquarters of the African Union, of internet access.
While service to those two institutions was restored and subscribers to broadband internet say they are now able to get online, access via mobile data — which is most used by businesses and individuals — was still unavailable.
This is despite government assurances that the blockage had been lifted.
In a press conference on Monday, Communications Minister Negeri Lencho said the internet had been “partly” shut down for three days last week and that social media sites were the only services that remained blocked.
Negeri said the shutdown was a measure necessary to keep students taking annual exams away from distractions on social media.
“The only reason is to help our students to concentrate on the exams because we know we are fighting poverty,” Negeri said.
Ethiopia’s sole telecommunications provider has blocked social media websites like Facebook and Twitter since anti-government protests broke out last year.
The country is among the least-connected in Africa, with only about 12 percent of people online, the International Telecommunications Union reported in 2015.
The Brookings Institution think tank released a report last October saying the country only lost around $8.5 million (7.5 million euros) when internet access was cut off for weeks during last year’s unrest.